For any official website, it can be detrimental to get penalized by Google. If a penalty has been imposed on your site, then its identification will be hard for you. Along with this, recovering from that penalty is a more complex task. Now I am going to tell your various types of Google penalties and steps needed to recover from them.
How will you define a penalty?
When an algorithm update negatively affects your official site or a manual review flags it then we can say that your site has been penalized by Google. Your site can de-index, it can start receiving less traffic or its ranking in the search engine can drop because of penalties.
What are the various types of penalties?
Algorithmic and manual are basically the penalties of 2 types.
When your site is flagged by the Google algorithms then we will say that an algorithmic penalty has occurred. The reason behind algorithmic penalties is either a new algorithm launch or a previous algorithm update. The Search Engine Console will not send you any warnings or messages about these penalties and so detecting these penalties is difficult. But you will notice that the traffic to your site has suddenly reduced because of these penalties. Look for the changes in the algorithm whenever your web traffic drops suddenly. If you want more information then look below:
- Mobile-friendliness – There are 2 algorithms that are related to mobile-friendliness and these have been pushed by Google. Their purpose is to improve the rankings of sites by making them mobile-friendly. For checking the occurrence of penalties this has been considered very easy. UI elements of appropriate size, the loading speed of the page and responsive design come under mobile-friendliness.
- Penguin – It is basically an algorithmic update that can detect the bad links automatically. There are a number of things at which Penguin looks and these are:
o Diversity of the links (high quality, low quality, no-follow and do-follow)
o The rate of obtaining and retaining links by a website
o Links’ overall quality
This penalty will hit your site if any unnatural backlink activities are noticed by this update. As a result, your website will lose traffic in great amounts. An important thing to know here is that this penalty will affect the specific pages only.
- Panda – The purpose of Panda update is to ensure that only content of high quality remains on your site. So, if your website has non-valuable, falsely authoritative and thin content then Google will penalize your site as a result of this update. Here not only specific pages but your complete site will be penalized.
What steps will you take to recover from an Algorithmic penalty?
By fixing the problem you can regain your rankings. After the completion of certain months, the data refreshes are run by Google on a regular basis. Here if the search engine thinks that there is no need to penalize your site then you can recover from it. Sometimes strategic planning is needed to recover from these penalties. You need to make sure that only relevant data is present on your site and for that purpose, you have to perform a full audit of your site without giving much consideration to the type of algorithm update that has penalized your site.
When because of a breach in the Webmaster Guidelines your site gets flagged by Google’s spam team then we will say that a manual penalty has occurred. You have to check whether any new message has come in your Google Search Console about the penalization of your site. Your backlink profile is the biggest reason behind these kinds of penalties. Manual penalties are usually of the various types as given below:
- When your website receives unnatural links – When in the creation of certain links, you are not involved then search engine recognizes it and its spam team penalizes your site.
- When your website receives unnatural links – In the creation of these links, you will be considered responsible. Here because of reciprocal links, backlinks and link swapping your site will be penalized. The links’ scope tells whether only some pages or your complete site will be affected by this penalty.
- When your website sends unnatural links – A manual penalty will hit your site when for the purpose of linking you indulge in manipulative activities and repeatedly use the same anchor text for the same site so as to link to it. Here either complete site or only some pages will be penalized.
What steps will you take to recover from a Manual penalty?
Here you need to find out whether your site gets any spammy links. For handling this penalty, you have to remove those spammy links. To get information about such links, you can take the help of AHREFS and SEMrush which are two popular tools.
You can consult a number of digital marketing experts to clear all your doubts related to Google penalties. They will also give you information about the latest algorithm update.